Who We Are
Education Northwest is a nonprofit applied research, evaluation, and technical assistance organization based in Portland, Oregon. We are organized around broad disciplines and capabilities to support continuous improvement of complex educational systems. We customize our services to meet the needs of our clients and learners and we take great pride in working closely with these partners to design the right approach for their context, goals, and strategies.
We are deeply committed to bringing educational equity to all students, which is why we are thrilled to be seeking an experienced and skilled Researcher with strong qualitative methods training and experience with culturally responsive and equitable evaluation design.
What You Will Be Doing
As a Managing Consultant – Postsecondary Success you will play a key role in leading research to practice efforts focused on building institutional and system capacity to support equitable student success at two- and four-year colleges and universities. Specifically, you will build a team and oversee a portfolio of projects focused on postsecondary success and institutional transformation and work with the team to: develop and sustain relationships with clients, partners, and funders; deliver coaching and technical assistance to postsecondary leaders, faculty, state and system policy makers, community-based organizations and others; produce tools, products and resources to support institutions, educators and communities in implementing evidence-based policies and practices; develop and lead communities of practice, networks and coalitions to transform the postsecondary ecosystem and grow the organization’s national visibility and impact in the postsecondary success arena. You are a full-time senior staff member with expertise in postsecondary education research, policy, and practice.
Education Northwest’s mission is to help partners and communities use evidence to solve important educational challenges in education from cradle to career. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of our organizational commitments as is a recognition of the systemic inequities that persist in our society, particularly those that limit access to high-quality learning experiences.
Supervisory Responsibility: None Initially
Reports to the Senior Director, Applied Research & Equitable Evaluation
- Build a cross-organizational team supporting equitable student success and institutional transformation in postsecondary education.
- Collaborating with the team; deliver training, coaching and technical assistance while interfacing directly with clients and funders.
- Develop and lead convenings, professional learning communities and networks focused on implementing evidence-based postsecondary success and institutional transformation strategies.
- Conduct quality assurance reviews of relevant client-facing materials.
- Collaborate with key senior leadership to grow and manage a pipeline of new business opportunities in the postsecondary success arena.
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships and relationships with multiple public/private partnerships across the postsecondary ecosystem in the Northwest and nationally.
- Serve as a thoughtleader and subject matter expert on postsecondary success and institutional change and transformation (e.g., contribute to blog posts; participate in media interviews; deliver presentations at regional and national meetings; develop tools, products, briefs, and written reports).
- Partner with program leadership across the organization to support the development and adoption of new and innovative approaches that help meet existing and emerging client needs.
- Work collaboratively with teammates, develops strong collegial relationships and proactively and regularly communicates with colleagues.
- Lead significant organizational and program-area level initiatives as needed.
What You Should Have
- Passion for ensuring equitable student success in postsecondary education and a track record of successfully advancing this goal through your professional work.
- Ten-plus years of senior project leadership experience, with a focus on postsecondary success and institutional transformation in racially, ethnically, and linguistically diverse urban and rural communities.
- Experience leading multi-organizational collaborations and working across the postsecondary ecosystem.
- Highly specialized skills and knowledge in mixed methods applied research, technical assistance, professional development and research-to-practice coaching and consulting
- Experience and expertise in culturally responsive/sustaining ways of working.
- Demonstrated success in building large-scale technical assistance and/or research portfolios through contracts, grants, and other business development strategies.
- Strong leadership, management, and organizational skills with experience managing proposals and projects using a collaborative, team-building approach.
- Strong writing, speaking, and listening skills.
- Broad knowledge and expertise in evidence-based and equitable approaches in postsecondary success.
- 5 or more years of experience working in a professional services or similar firm strongly preferred.
- Experience working as a leader within a two- or four-year postsecondary institution, or public postsecondary system preferred.
Travel and Other Key Requirements
- In-state and out-of-state travel required (typically 25% of time)
- Position can be based in Portland, Oregon or remote from a home office anywhere in the United States
What You Will Get
- 403(b) with a 13% employer contribution once vested
- Full medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee with reasonable options for dependent coverage
- 20 days of PTO to start with up to 32 days after year 3
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible spending account
- Commuter/Transportation benefits
- Free public transit for Portland based employee’s
Education Northwest is an Affirmative Action/EEO employer, and we particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQIA2+ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described above.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Work Location: Remote