Position: IRS Coordinator – PMI Evolve Project Zambia Type: FULL TIME
Industry: Professional Services
Category: Admin & Office
Jobs at: Abt Associates
Deadline of this Job: Duty Station: Within Zambia , Chipata , South - Central Africa
22 March 2023
The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 4,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
As the IRS Coordinator, under supervision of vector control manager, you will focus on programmatic and management oversight for all aspects of the PMI Evolve project’s indoor residual spraying (IRS) operations in your assigned district(s), including spray campaign planning, technical assistance and training, logistical and operational support and supervision, and activity tracking and reporting. You will coordinate closely with provincial government counterparts and oversee the activities of project field staff and seasonal spray teams.
The PMI Evolve Project supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control strategy with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria while promoting equity to sustain malaria gains. Abt has implemented integrated vector control for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality indoor residual spraying (IRS), technical assistance for insecticide-treated net (ITN) distribution and durability monitoring, and new approaches for larval source management (LSM). Additionally, Abt’s PMI-funded work manages the most comprehensive malaria vector entomological surveillance programs in 21 African countries to inform malaria vector control trends, strategies, and impact. Under the PMI Evolve Project, Abt will further its delivery of integrated vector control programs by partnering with local communities, organizations, and governments to co-design and co-implement tailored malaria vector control programs. The end goal is fighting malaria while strengthening local capacity to sustain malaria gains.
• Manage robust IRS campaign planning efforts in assigned geographical area, including quantification of insecticides and equipment needs; identification and recruitment of spray teams; logistical planning for IRS distribution and transportation; insecticide and equipment storage, security, and environmental safety; and coordination with provincial/district level Ministry of Health counterparts.
• Work in collaboration with the malaria and IRS focal point persons at the Provincial or District Health Office to manage the planning and coordination of IRS activities.
• Oversee the recruitment, training, and supervision of spray teams and IRS spray operators.
• Supervise and track inventory distribution and storage of materials, work with the logistics and procurement team to support procurement of IRS materials.
• Supervise IRS implementation and contribute to the trainings conducted in the assigned geographical area.
• Ensure that routine program tracking and reporting are in place and delivered on time.
• Supervise and monitor field data collection with project M&E team.
• Manage the community mobilization and SBCC/IEC campaigns and data collection process in close coordination with IEC coordinator (as applicable).
• Ensure that all risk prevention and environmental compliance measures are fully implemented and work closely with the project environmental compliance staff and district/province officers to address relevant issues.
• Facilitate communication between the districts in the assigned geographic area and the project office.
• Represents the program at meetings with the community leaders and local steering committees.
• Prepare weekly and other activity reports as directed by the project Vector Control Manager.
• Assists with other activities in-country as needed
• Contributes, in close coordination with the Vector Control Manager, to the development and delivery of the country capacity building plan to transfer integrated vector control skills to local institutions.
• Promotes targeting, integration and equity (gender equity, hard-to-reach populations, etc.) of project’s vector control strategies and activities.
• The position requires frequent travel to field sites to support and oversee district and community level operations and activities.
What We Value
• Bachelor’s Degree + two years of relevant experience, or master’s degree + zero years of relevant experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Business Administration, or other relevant field.
• At least two (2) years of relevant professional work experience, with significant amounts of experience directly in Vector Control.
• Experience in regulatory and operational aspects of insecticide use and management is preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
• Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
• Demonstrates leadership and teamwork and produces high quality work in a timely, cost-effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
• Excellent interpersonal communications, and organizational skills.
• Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Experience with USAID funded programs and/or other international development experience.
• English language fluency.
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
This vacancy has been closed